Wednesday 21 November 2012

James Watt College student's passion for art pays off





PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
21st November 2012

James Watt College student’s passion for art pays off

A James Watt College student has combined her love of art and horses to create a globally successful business.

Despite only being 17 years old, Danielle Scott has already made thousands of pounds after selling her own equine art creations via Facebook.

The student, from West Kilbride, originally decided to sell her artwork after sketching a local horse called Bailey. The drawings were soon snapped up netting the teenager £2,000, which she ultimately used to buy the horse she’d fallen in love with.

Danielle said: “I’ve always drawn from a young age so when I decided to go to college I thought it would make sense to sell pictures to help fund my studies. I made so much that I was able to buy Bailey on Christmas Day and now some of the money I make from my drawings pays for his upkeep, which costs around £200 per month.”

Danielle is currently studying an NC in Media Studies at James Watt College’s North Ayrshire Campus. Lecturers spotted her talent the day she arrived to enquire about courses.

Pauline Taylor, Lecturer in Media Studies at James Watt College, commented: “When Danielle came to the college I was instantly impressed. Despite only being 16 years old she already had a portfolio of work and I was blown away. I was delighted to welcome her on to our Media Studies course. The subject, itself, has actually really helped with her business as it teaches students how to market themselves, manage budgets and practice good business discipline. I know that Danielle will go from strength to strength. She’s already selling portraits to customers as far afield as Australia and New Zealand.”

Once her course at James Watt College is complete, Danielle is hoping to study Directing and Editing at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow. 

Danielle added: “The lecturers at James Watt College have really helped me to gain confidence and build up my business. They’ve supported me with everything from money management to marketing and I’m really grateful. I’m delighted that something I’m so passionate about is really paying off.”

Anyone interested in commissioning or purchasing artwork from Danielle should go to: http://www.facebook.com/EquinePortraitsbyDanielle

 -ENDS-



Images 1 & 2: Danielle with her horse Bailey
Images 3, 4 & 5: A small selection of Danielle’s artwork.

For more information, contact:
Brian O’Neill, Halogen Communications, (T) 0131 202 0120 (F) 0131 225 3757 (E) brian@halogencom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment